Tuesday 27 October 2015

‘Umar’s Protective Jealousy With His Wives

‘Umar’s Protective Jealousy With His Wives

‘Umar’s Palace In Jannah

The Messenger of Allaah (Salla’Allaahu Alayhi wa Salam) said:

I saw myself (in a dream) entering Paradise, and there I saw Ar-Rumaysa’ – the wife of Abu Talhah – and I heard the sound of footsteps. I said, “Who is this?” He said, “It is Bilal.” And I saw a palace, in the courtyard of which there was a young woman. I said, “Whose (palace) is this?” They said, “(It is) ‘Umar’s.” I wanted to go in and look around, but then I remembered your protective jealousy. ‘Umar said, “May my father and mother be sacrificed for you, O’ Messenger of Allaah! Would I feel jealous towards you?”

[Narrated by Muslim 2394, and Bukhaari 3476 & 6620]

According to another report the Messenger of Allaah (Salla’Allaahu Alayhi wa Salam) said: Whilst I was sleeping, I saw myself in Paradise, and there was a woman doing wudoo’ beside a palace. I said, “Whose palace is this?” They said, “(It is) ‘Umar’s.” Then I remembered your protective jealousy so I turned away. ‘Umar wept and said, “Would I feel protective jealousy towards you, O’ Messenger of Allaah?”

[Narrated by Muslim 2395]

His Refusal Of A Gift For His Wife

Ibn ‘Umar said:

Abu Moosa Al-Ash’ari gave a mat to ‘Umar’s wife ‘Aatikah Bint Zayd, and I think that it was one cubit and a handspan. ‘Umar saw it with her and said, “Where did you get this from?” She said, “Abu Moosa Al-Ash’ari gave it to me.” ‘Umar took it and hit her with it, then he said, “Bring Abu Moosa to me.” So he was brought to him and he (Abu Moosa Al-Ash’ari) said, “Don’t be hasty, O’ Ameer Al-Mu’mineen (Leader of the believers).” ‘Umar said, “What made you give gifts to my womenfolk?” Then ‘Umar took it and hit him with it, and said, “Take it, we have no need for it.”

[Taken from ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab, His Life And Times, By ‘Ali Muhammad As-Sallaabi, Vol. I, Pp. 134-135 & 251]

No comments:

Post a Comment