WHAT IS THE PUNISHMENT FOR
By Sheikh-ul-Islam Muhammad bin Abdul-Wahhab rahimahullah
Chapter No: 61, Kitab At-Tauhid, THE BOOK OF MONOTHEISM
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه narrated that Allah's Messenger صلي الله عليه وسلم said:
"Allah said: 'Who would be more unjust than the one who tries to create the like of my creatures? Let them create an atom, or let them create a grain, or let them create a barley corn.' " (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)
They also report from `Aishah رضي الله عنها that Allah's Messenger صلي الله عليه وسلم said: "The people who will receive the severest punishment on the Day of Resurrection will be those who try to make the like of Allah's creation."
Also reported by them from Ibn Abbas ((رضي الله عنهما) that I heard Allah's Messenger صلي الله عليه وسلم saying: "All the picture-makers would be in the fire of Hell. A soul will be breathed in every picture prepared by him and it shall punish him in the Hell."
It is additionally narrated from Ibn Abbas (رضي الله عنهما) in a Marfu' Hadith:
"Whoever makes a picture in this world will be charged with putting a soul (life) in it and he will never be able to do it."
Muslim reports from Abu Haiyaj (Al-Asadi) that Ali ( رضي الله عنه) said to him:
"Should I not depute you on a mission on which I was sent by Allah's Messenger صلي الله عليه وسلم ?: Deface all the pictures which 'you come across and demolish all the high graves to the level of earth."
IMPORTANT ISSUES OF THE CHAPTER
1) Intense condemnation of those who make pictures.
2) Picture-making is condemned because it constitutes not having proper regard for Allah. As in His Statement: "Who would be more unjust than the one who tries to create the like of my creatures...”
3) Declaration of the power and ability of Allah and the incapacity and weakness of those (who attempt to create). As in His Statement: "Let them create an atom or a grain or a barley corn."
4) Declaration that they (picture-makers) will get the most severe punishment (on the Day of Judgement).
5) Allah will create a soul in place of every picture and the maker of that picture will be punished by it in Hell.
6) Picture-makers will be asked to breathe life into every of their Images.
7) The command to deface all the images/pictures when found.
Source: Kitab At-Tauhid, THE BOOK OF MONOTHEISM. CHAPTER NO: 61, (Page: 174-175). By Sheikh-ul-Islam Muhammad bin Abdul-Wahhab rahimahullah
[To read this article in Spanish, click here]