Thursday 11 November 2010

Going to charlatans for treatment



Going to charlatans for treatment


Fatwa no. ( 10538 ):

Q: My father is suffering from a chronic disease, we tried very hard to treat him but it was in vain. When doctors failed to treat him, the family resorted to some charlatans seeking a treatment. I refused and did not let them continue on this track, for I am sure that it is forbidden. I warned them that this is Haram (prohibited), but they did not consider my warnings. They argued that I know nothing about the matter and that those charlatans are righteous people. They believe that this is religiously lawful. In fact, it was only when I was informed of the way they treat the patient when I became really against their acts. I know that their acts are baseless. Some of their ways are as follows:
(Part No. 1; Page No. 643)

One of them asked my family to bring my father's headdress. Bringing it to him, he described the disease of my father without examining him. Another charlatan also says on seeing the patient: "O So and So! You have a good horoscope" exactly in this manner. A third one orders the family of the patient to slaughter a black sheep, collect some of its hooves or horns then put them inside the slain sheep and place it in an isolated area where no one can see or reach it. The charlatan also stipulates that the slaughtered animal should be kept out of sight, claiming that the influence of the treatment will be ineffective if anyone sees the slaughtered animal specified for treatment. There are many other acts that some people believe. Therefore, I am sending my question hoping that you will clarify the ruling on this matter. I hope that Allah, the Most High, the All-Powerful renders us of those who hear the word (Good advice) and follow the best thereof. And Allah is the grantor of success.

A: It is Haram (prohibited) to go to charlatans for treatment. The ways of treatment you mentioned are charlatanic and superstitious. Their only aim is to unjustly seize people's money. You did well by disapproving of those who wanted to treat your father through charlatanry, and you fulfilled your duty of guiding and advising them. There are several authentic Hadith from the Prophet (peace be upon him)
(Part No. 1; Page No. 644)

forbidding resorting to, consulting, and believing charlatans.
May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions!


Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta'

Member `Abdullah ibn Ghudayyan
Deputy Chairman `Abdul-Razzaq `Afify
Chairman `Abdul-`Aziz ibn `Abdullah ibn Baz

Taken from: http://alifta.com/Fatawa/FatawaChapters.aspx?View=Page&PageID=352&PageNo=1&BookID=7

No comments:

Post a Comment